What is a Face Tracking Camera?
A Face Tracking Camera is a camera that uses algorithms to locate faces within images or video footage. Some Face Tracking cameras are only able to identify the presence of a face (face detection), while others are able to identify a face and recognize it by comparing it to the faces stored in a database (face recognition).
How do Face Tracking Cameras work?
These cameras contain software that enables them to identify facial features, such as eyes, nose, cheekbones, and jaw. They can also be linked with computers running face tracking software, allowing the captured video to be used for audience measurement, traffic analysis, emotion recognition, face recognition, and more.
Face Tracking with webcams
Just like other Face Tracking Cameras, webcams can be linked with face tracking or eye tracking software to detect faces and track eye movements.
Because webcams are readily available and built into most laptops, they are a great resource to use when analyzing how people interact with web pages and apps. By using webcams, it is possible to conduct user experience testing without requiring the users to travel to a lab, for example.
It is important to keep in mind, however, that webcams currently provide a lower degree of accuracy than the specialized eye tracking cameras that rely on infrared technology. Eye tracking studies conducted using webcams are therefore best suited for early-stage research.
Where are Face Tracking Cameras used?
Face Tracking Cameras can be used in the following ways:
- By retailers who want to analyze the visitors and customers in their stores
- By digital screen network owners who want to analyze their audience and track the performance of content across different locations
- By individuals and businesses who want to increase the security in and around their premises
- By smartphone manufacturers looking to offer new interactive user experiences and to enhance device and mobile application security
- By banks and other institutions who need to be able to identify their customers accurately and detect identity fraud quickly
- By airports to increase the efficiency and security at the customs